I’ve read Crooked Kingdom last year, and I know I’m super delayed with my review for this, but here it goes!
REACTION AFTER FINISHING THE BOOK
Right off the bat let me just say, I loved this book. Crooked Kingdom was a strong sequel and ending to a duology.
I felt both happiness and sadness after finishing this. It was like I was saying goodbye to a friend I got extremely close to. I never thought I was going to say this about a series, but I wish there was more books to this series!
I want more of these characters.
I want the plot to be explored more!
I want more of THIS FUCKING WORLD!
I want more of Leigh Bardugo’s writing.
Yes! Yes! Give me mooooreeeeeeee!!!
• The plot was well-thought of. The twists and turns that happened in both this book and the previous one was just so amazing! I cannot even explain how much I loved it.
• It was action-packed. There was never a dull moment.
• I fell in love with the characters. All of the characters in this book was so beautifully flawed. Their flaws and their weakness made them relatable to readers. The fact that they were neither morally good or bad made them more interesting to me.
• All the character reached their character arc.
• Aside from a good plot, I love seeing good relationships in my books. These band of misfits, definitely, had one of the best group chemistry I’ve ever read in a book.
• I felt so much for Matthias and Nina’s relationship in this book. I’ve always had a thing for forbidden love, so that might be playing a part in this. But really, the way their relationship evolved from the first book was great.
• The writing is still as good, if not better than the first one.
• I love the world Leigh Bardugo created in general. I first read about this world from The Grisha trilogy. I already loved it then, but now that I see a different part of that world, I am even more impressed by how she tied both stories from different locations together.
• I love Kaz’ brillant, scheming mind.
• THE CAMEO!!! OHHHH BOY! IT MADE ME DAY!
• I wasn’t a big fan of how it ended. I wanted more. So much more.
• While I’m all for a good fast-paced book, there were instances that this book went way too fast.
• There wasn’t enough Kaz and Inej moments. Booohoo!
• There were some very minor plot points that were never mentioned again.
• THE UNNECESSARY DEATH. This actually pissed me off. I love it when books make me feel something. However, if this is the way it would be done, then I am not happy. Look, I already love and care for these characters – a lot! I didn’t need something like this to make me care about them more. The worse thing was, whether or not this character dies or not, the plot wouldn’t have changed too much. At least that was how I felt about it.
I might have had a little gripe about the death in this book, but overall, this sequel was amazing!
I love Leigh Bardugo to bits! She is my favorite author! Come on Leigh and release me another amazing book! I can’t wait for her to write another one. Hopefully, still in this universe. And hopefully, it would be about my darling husband, Nikolai. (If you’ve read The Grisha Trilogy, you’d know who this beautiful man is).
So if you’re looking for a good YA fantasy novel that doesn’t feel like a young adult book, I’d highly recommend this one. It has good action, fantastic set of characters, a brilliantly plotted story, and an unbelievably rich fictional world that you’d get to immerse yourself into.