La La Land had tons of buzz about it during the Oscar season. Everyone’s been raving about how good this movie is. I wasn’t too keen on watching it because of the fact that it was a musical. There are some musicals that I liked, but it wasn’t really my thing. Even with Ryan Gosling being part of this film didn’t get me too excited to watch it. I love music, just not musicals, if that makes sense.
But, I got the chance to watch this recently, so I was like, “Yeah, sure. What do I got to lose?” I wasn’t really expecting much from it. I had little to none, actually. Imagine my surprise when I ended up loving this film.
I AM IN LOVE AND OBSESSED WITH THIS MOVIE!
Goddamn this movie was great!!!!
Here are some of the reasons why I think this movie was great:
1. Let me start by stating the obvious: Ryan Gosling. That dude is enough for anyone to watch this film. He always brings his A-game to any movie he’s in. AND MY GOODNESS! This guy could do no wrong. Who would have thought this guy could not only dance, but sing quite well too!!
2. La La Land is a story about passion. It follows two people, Mia and Sebastian, who were both fueled with passion for their craft. Mia was an aspiring actress, while Sebastian is a jazz player trying to revive the genre that’s slowly dying. The found each other. They fell for each other. Then eventually, they were faced with the question as to which was more important to them, their dreams or their heart. I loved this story. It was a story that most people would be able to relate to. Life is rarely simple. It isn’t easy. We make decisions every day that affects us and the people we love. Sometimes, we have to make the decision that would be the best for us and not for the people around us.
3. The music! Oh geez! I am obsessed with the music. I believe all the music used in this movie are original. I liked how the music was used in this movie. It totally worked. And if you haven’t heard City of Stars yet, then what the hell are you doing? Click on the video below. Listen to it. It’s fucking great!!
4. This was, definitely, a beautiful looking film. My eyes were so satisfied with what I was looking at when I was watching this. I loved the use of colors. The visuals left me speechless.
5. There were not a lot of characters in this movie. Actually, I think the only important characters in this movie were Mia and Sebastian. And I loved this! I got to know both these characters so well. You get to see what made them tick, why they love the things they loved, and why they make the decisions they make. Mia and Sebastian were really fleshed out characters that you won’t be able to help yourself but love.
6. Mia and Sebastian’s relationship was beautiful. There really are no words to explain. For me, what they had, that was true love.
7. Can I talk about the ending? How…. how… it tore me apart? No. Not spoiling. But it was great. I wasn’t expecting it. And no, before you start thinking about someone dying I’d already say no. No one died. Don’t worry. But the ending was definitely something I wasn’t expecting.
8. I need more Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling movies please! Hollywood, MAKE IT FUCKING HAPPEN! These two have chemistry like no other onscreen couples have!!! Dear god! I loved them on Crazy, Stupid, Love, but their on screen chemistry here was off the charts!!! Damn!
9. Damien Chazelle, you are a wonderful blessing to cinema. I haven’t watched Whiplash yet, but after seeing this, it’s the next movie I have on my list of to watch movies. God bless you man! Make more films like this!
GAAAAH! I still cannot stop thinking about this film. This movie is definitely worth the hype that it had during the Oscars. I get why it won all those awards, they were well deserved. I’m not going to say it’s a better film that Moonlight (which won best picture) because I haven’t watched that, but La La Land was amazing! I just cannot say enough good words about it. If you haven’t watched this movie, go watch it. It was fun, it was heartwarming, it was visually stunning, plus the songs and the music, would leave you wanting to hear it again and again.